Thursday, April 8, 2010

Homefront: White and Natural Mantel


Are you getting tired of my mantel posts yet? Well, it's been so fun changing them up for all the recent holidays and season changing, so bare with me a little while longer! (ps. I DID clean my mirror, but I am not a streak free master.) If you DON'T have a mantle, you can do this on the middle strip of your kitchen table or coffee table, on top of a cabinet, a dresser, a shelf over a tv or desk....

I am a little tired of my usual aqua and sage green, so I decided to go back to a natural palate. These pretty much all consist of vintage items found through super sleuthing for amazing deals, so I can't complain. The adorable raccoon art I found today for a song, so it had to be featured.

Basically, I decorate, by using the larger pieces on the outsides, and angle them in. Usually, I would put a taller piece in the center, but our mantle is so narrow especially with the frame of the mirror that I only am able to use small accessories. And other times, I leave the middle totally bare and just have a little vignette on the sides.

all four A's, I painted them white, expcept for the largest, which a friend gave to me already painted.


I had all four A's up (one per family member), but removed the center two for less of a clutter look. When I go across the whole mantel, it may look overly crowded because of my smaller pieces, though I still use the remove one (or two) item rule. Just do what works and tweak when you feel the need to get nit picky, but don't stress over it! Who knows, this whole thing may look different tomorrow.


The mantle consists of a painted black finial (is an nasty brassy color underneath), raccoon print, letter A, adorable vintage wood bunny, vintage vase with fresh white roses, vintage mattress spring coil, white lantern, glass jar full of white candlesticks, vintage aladdin inspired brass mini vase, tattered vintage book from my childhood and another large white letter in front of a painted white mirror and white deer bust.


I'm loving the natural elements and wish I still had my fresh picked cotton stems to add as well. Anyone know where I can get some?
*****

And on another note. I decided to take the plunge and do a gallery wall over my couch. I laid out 3 different styles, I would love some input on which you think looks best.

1. aqua and white frames and white letters, the largest grouping

2. minus the aqua frames, medium sized grouping


3. minus the white and aqua frames, smallest grouping (though I think if I use this, I would lose the letters and put the oval frame in their place. (if you are interested on how the frame wall turned out, visit here.)

*Linked to The Nester's Mantle Linky Party,
Just a Girl's How Show and Share Day
at Kimba's of A Soft Place to Land's DIY Day 
Life as Lori's Get your Craft on Thursdays
The Shabby Cottage's Thursday Transformation
Women Who Do it All's Idea Sharin' Wednesday
Tales from Bloggeritaville's Thrifty Thursday
Between naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursdays
Jellybeans & Firefly's Show off your Stuff
Jessica's The Hills are Livin Favorite Things Friday
 It's not here at Life in the Pitt's Creative Therapy, but lots of good ones are.

19 comments:

Anne said...

#1 for sure! I think it looks a little more full and colorful. Love it!

And BTW, one can never get tired of your mantel posts! You always think of such creative things to do with it!

Jessica said...

Personally i like #1 but did you notice in #3 the circle frame is above the Jesus picture and it looks like a halo?

Kristina P. said...

I realized I need more giant letters in my house.

Sherri said...

Love the candles in the jar on the old book. Very well done with all the elements. Giggled at the deer head! I bought one for my ex hubby yearssssss ago bc he was a hunter and hadn't killed a deer to mount. LOL

Creations By Cindy said...

I love the deer on the wall. My hubby would really like that! Be blessed. cindy

Pink Heather said...

I like #1 the best. Love that big A in the frame.
I'm enjoying your mantle posts also. I want to put a high shelf in the entry way ~ over a bench seat ~ and do the same thing you're doing. Redecorating for different holidays and seasons. Love your ideas!

Christine said...

I love that your mantel is completely original and I'm now convinced that I do need to pick up a few of those letters next time I see them. I love what you did with them.

Ruth H. said...

I love the A's!

Thanks for visiting my blog and giving me a great suggestion: two colored window! I love it!

Sandra said...

Lots of fun things to see on your mantel...love the old bed springs, candles in jar and the little funky deer head! Cute! Come say hi.

Rockin Momma said...

I'm a new Follower From Thrifty Thursday Link Party! Visit me at http://www.rockindeals4you.com/?p=1398 and sign up for my newest giveaway!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

I love the mantel! Great job! I love the A's!

I like #1 and #3 for the frames.

Michelle@ A Full Cottage said...

For the gallery above your couch I would go with #1. I love the A's on the mantel and the candle in the jar.

:) Michelle

Jess said...

Your mantles are super cute, and so is your family! If you are interested, I would love you to post this on my Favorite Things Friday party!

Chris said...

Great job! I love the placement of all the little trinkets! Looks so nice!

Lia at Petite Little Bee said...

Great job just love all of them!! Thanks for sharing. Happy Spring!! Cheers, Lia

Maria said...

Fun mantlescape! Everything works together wonderfully!

Lori said...

I like #1, but they are both nice.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday! Please join me next week for another great party!

nicole said...

very cute love the arrangement!

Jess said...

I would love to feature you on Favorite Things Friday this week. If you would like a Featured button you can stop by my blog and pick one up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails